Here at Pursuit Athletic Performance, we are really proud of the awesome staff of trainers and coaches we have to help YOU improve!
Today we introduce Chris Kopcha, who teaches yoga, bootcamp, and fitness classes at our new space in Chester, Connecticut: the Pursuit Training Center. To learn more about Chris, check out her bio on our site here.
Chris is passionate about teaching and helping others to get stronger and improve. She hopes YOU will come out and take some of her classes and learn what she and we have to offer first hand.
To that end, Chris shares her thoughts on yoga including TEN REASONS why YOU should join her in her “tree house” for class.
One of the misconceptions of yoga is that it is only for skinny 20-something girls in spandex who can twist themselves into a pretzel. Or vegan hippies that sit around chanting and meditating. While you do find some of these scenarios in yoga studios, yoga is for everyone and the benefits go much farther than being able to tie yourself in a very uncomfortable knot.
1. CORE: We all know that a stable, strong core is important in keeping you injury free. But your core consists of more than just your abs. It includes everything other than your head, arms and legs and incorporates almost every movement in the human body. Yoga works your core in 360 degrees! Flexibility and balance stem from your core.
2. FLEXIBILITY: Who doesn’t want to increase their comfortable range of motion? How many people do you know can’t reach down to tie their shoes or have a hard time reaching for their seat belt? Flexibility is one attribute we associate with being and feeling younger.
3. BODY BALANCE: As we move into our later years this is important in keeping us active. Even tasks as simple as walking…..the ability to stand on one foot at a time while propelling yourself forward requires a great deal of balance.
4. TRAINING BALANCE: Every good exercise program needs to include aerobic training, strength work, and stretching! Many athletes tend to hit two out of three of these genres, keeping them from reaching their full potential!
5. SPEED: By learning about your body and how it moves, you can work with what you’ve got allowing you to become faster.
6. LOW IMPACT: Yoga is it! Which means it’s great for seniors and anyone who has joint trouble.
7. LOWERS STRESS: By encouraging relaxation, focusing on your body and breathing, it reduces the effects of stress by lowering blood pressure, heart rate, and improving digestion.
8. THE BREATH: Yoga practice teaches us to take slower, deeper, healthier breaths, improving lung function and increasing the amount of oxygen available to the body.
9. CLEARS THE MIND: Yoga helps us un-clutter our mind. It allows us to be still in a world full of chaos.
10. JUMPSTART A HEALHTHIER YOU: Yoga can be the jump start you need toward a healthier lifestyle. It can be your first step on a path away from unhealthy stress and poor eating habits, toward healthier habits that lead to long term health and happiness.
11. BONUS: And if you are interested, you can ALSO learn some really cool party tricks like headstands, handstands, splits, and arm balances.
These work for me – what about YOU?
Hope to see you in the tree house AND on the mat soon!